Saturday, March 1, 2014

Dining Room Turned Nursery- One Bedroom Apartment Living

So I will admit it, living in a one bedroom small apartment sure isn't what I had in mind when I envisioned bringing home my little bundle of joy. Just look at my Pinterest and I'm sure you will see what I was hoping to have.

Fact is, for Corey and I, life never happens how we "think" or "plan" it will go. It has actually a funny joke now to us and we really don't get upset when things go differently, anymore. Colorado homes have gone up in price... by a lot. So everything we could afford needs a renovation and with a husband that works 50 hours a week and a pregnant wife, reno isn't a great idea. We also don't know how much I will be able to work with the baby coming. It's all very "play by ear" right now. So the final decision was to stay in our one bedroom to save money and honestly we ran out of time. Lease is up this month, so we just renewed it for 6 months. One a happy note... I have the pool for one more summer!!! YES!!!

So where are we going to put Baby B you ask? The dining room of course! Thankfully my mother in law lets her basement become our storage unit. Honestly the dining room makes a perfect nursery, except that it is right beside the living room and kitchen. Oh and that is has no closet. So we found some ways to be more organized. Kitchen and bath is also going through a storage crisis but we will figure it out...soon.

So this is when you walk in the front door. Living room in front then nursery behind.
 We went with a woodland inspired theme, with deer and owls mainly. Orange and aqua ended up being the main colors too.
Furniture- Target
Rug- Ikea
Curtains- Ikea
Deer Picture- Target
Mobile- Target
I have no idea why a giraffe is chillin with an owl, elephant and snail with a bumble bee...but he is. We didnt feel like spending a fortune on a mobile so this is what we got.
 The shelves we got at Ikea and we are still going to add a bar/rod under the bottom one to hang up clothes.
Deer head- Target
Owl statue- Goodwill
Baby Book- Made by my Mother in law
Deer photo album- No idea
Animal Ornaments- My mom found these at Von Maur Department store
"Gone Fishing" Sign- Corey has had this since he was a baby
 For now this is where we are stock piling diapers and wipes. That tan basket will be a laundry basket though and behind that is the Diaper Genie.
 Found this gem at Hobby Lobby! They have a bunch of foresty stuff that I still want to go look at. Its always 50% off too!
acess. This puppy is super heavy too so I put a placemat under it to keep it from stratching the dresser.
 The dresser
Changing Pad and Cover- Babies R Us
 The first drawer we put receiving blankets a swaddle things.
 The drawer beside that is going to be diapers, wipes, etc. we have some Genie refills and the monitor in there now but who knows if it will stay.
I tried to flip this picture for a good 13 minutes. It's just not my day. But each drawer is divided by sizes to make life easy.
Bookcase Cubby- Ikea
Canvas Baskets- Ikea
 This bad boy will be great for extra storage! Since it is behind the couch it sort of acts like a divider, sorta.
 
So that is the nursery in a nutshell. It may not be exactly what I thought it would be but we think it will work just fine for 6 months :)
 
Thanks for stopping by!
~Ashley~

3 comments:

  1. Ashley its seriously so cute! Plus, at least for me, my kids are never in the nursery. Except to use the changing table and even that is only sometimes haha. We have a co sleeper/bassinet in our room. It makes nursing so so much easier. He typically naps either on me, in his swing when he was little, or on the boppy and blankets. I love your theme though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ;) thanks friend!! We still need to get our bassinet.... I should probably get on that lol

      Delete
  2. I like the arms reach co sleeper. The side drops down and it lines up right against your bed. It makes it really easy to just slide him in and out for night time feedings. Look at kid consignment shops. Most pieces on it are washable and it'll save you tons of money

    ReplyDelete